By Cindy-lou Schmidt
I’m pleased to say that I’ve seen Waterloo Region grow a great deal over the last three decades or so and it’s exciting to see what is in the horizon! Our Region has lots to offer, and these are my top 5 favourite features:
5. The expressway: It’s super quick and convenient to get on our expressway and be able to get all over Waterloo Region quickly and efficiently. It runs northeast/southwest through town and is connected to Highway 401 via the Highway 8 Freeport Diversion and King Street East. This makes is extra convenient to work, shop and go to school in different cities with ease.
4. The Food: As diverse as the people that live here! Our food in local restaurants, shops and farmers makes our area rich in diversity and selection. Whether you’re celiac, vegan, looking for upscale or affordable dining, you’ll find it! Don’t forget to joining the Food in Waterloo Region Facebook Group if you haven’t already. With over 12,000 members, it’s rich with knowledge and suggestions!
3. The People: With all types of people from different demographics, income and education levels and interests, we have so many great programs and interests that are shared. Whether you’re at a local pub, the library, or decide to join one of our many Meetup Groups in the area, there is no shortage of meeting lots of great people who will say “hello”!
2. Education and Innovation: Our Region is rich with knowledge and development that has grown from our foundation in automobile and manufacturing industries. The last 10 years has seen a huge growth in digital and computer technologies and definitely worth noting that we have 150 research institutions and more than four times the national number of patents per million. What else? We also have the highest proportion among the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development countries with 51% of the population with a post-secondary degree!
1. We’re green- Waterloo Region has a wealth of forest, woodlands, park and trails to explore. Whether you’re walking your dog, riding your bike, or going for a hike, you’ll find a great place to go here!