Mold can become an issue in your home if you overlook some basic maintenance and care. Often recognized as a black stain or smudge that smells musty, it grows on materials that have moisture, and are most often found on window sills, carpets, and walls in kitchens, bathrooms and laundry rooms. In addition to being an unpleasant sight, mold releases tiny spores that can get inhaled and can cause various ailments including coughing, wheezing, allergic reactions, and general unease. Depending on the individual, the effects of mold may be more serious for seniors, children or those with compromised immune systems.
It is important to address moisture right away and be proactive in preventing mold. You can do so by making sure your bathrooms, kitchen, and laundry rooms are properly ventilated; that downspouts and gutters are directed and connected correctly; and keeping your home warm with good air circulation.
If you do inspect your house and find mold covering less than a square metre, you can take the necessary precautions to remove and clean it yourself. By using rubber gloves and a dust mask, you can help reduce the impact on your health.
One product that we have come across that not only cleans up the mold, but kills the spores and treats the surface to prevent recurrence is Concrobium Mold Control. It has yielded excellent results time and time again and find it has good value. It is available at several hardware stores, and sells for about $10 per litre.
If you have mold in your home, review more information here.
But remember if you have an extensive mold problem, call a professional to have it removed and don’t risk your health. Contact us for a referral to a trusted mold remediation company.